While it is tempting to chase the best “value” for a product, our purchases can end up funding despicable acts on the other side of the world. Tax revenues alone can provide significant support to a regime, but authoritarian governments often have far stronger ties to the exporters from their countries. Knowing this, how many of the behaviours below would be enough for you to choose to boycott a country? Any one of them individually? A grouping of the worst? What if one country committed all of them within the past few years?
- China accused of genocide over forced abortions of Uighur Muslim women as escapees reveal widespread sexual torture.
Forced Organ Harvesting
World’s Leading Executioner
- China executes more people than rest of world combined, Amnesty report reveals.
- Death penalty in 2019: Facts and figures.
Threating to Invade Neighboring Countries
- The Cruel Fate of Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor in China – A firsthand account of what life in Chinese detention is like for a foreigner on politically motivated charges.
- Can the Chinese Be Trusted to Lead Global Institutions? The abduction of Interpol’s president shows that Beijing’s officials will be subordinate to the orders of the Communist Party.
- How murder, kidnappings and miscalculation set off Hong Kong’s revolt
- China: Covid-19 Discrimination Against Africans – Forced Quarantines, Evictions, Refused Services in Guangzhou.
Supplying Illegal Narcotics
Suppressing Responses to Outbreaks
- Coronavirus: China state secrecy likely caused deadly outbreak to worsen – Knowledge circulated among medical professionals long before official announcements.
- WHO chief says widespread travel bans not needed to beat China virus.
Censorship of Public and Private Conversations
- Here’s a growing list of companies bowing to China censorship pressure.
- Study: WeChat content outside China used for censorship.
- China’s Search for Dissidents Has Now Expanded to Foreign Countries.
Using All Businesses for Intelligence Gathering
Bribing Foreign Leaders (Elite Capture)
Violating International Treaties
Supporting Authoritarian Regimes
The provided sources vary, but any of the major sites could have provided most or all of the same stories included here. No matter your political stances, you should find a handful of sources you trust to corroborate.